Jan 11, 2011

Do I limit God in my life?

"I do will it. Be made clean."

More than once in my priestly ministry I find myself a bit thrown off to walk into a hospital room and find a fearful look on the face of a patient. I don’t think it has anything to do with my appearance, at least I can’t remember a time that people ran away from me. Rather, it has to do with a limited understanding of the beautiful sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. Pre-Vatican II days referred to this sacrament by a somewhat archaic sounding name as Extreme Unction. I’m sure some of you readers remember that well. This anointing, and holy Communion if possible (Viaticum), was given only when the person was near death – in“extreme” cases.

People would often wear a medal or carry a card in their wallet or purse that read, “I am a Catholic. In case of emergency, please call a priest.” While that is not a bad practice the Church reminds us, thankfully, that Christ's healing ministry should not be restricted. His presence is not just for exteme emergencies. However, I sometimes have to assure people that I have not arrived as the angel of death but as, I hope, an agent of God’s healing!

As we re-enter Ordinary Time in our liturgical year, we find the Gospels of this week speak of Jesus’ healing ministry. He came to those who sought life not death. He heals a man with convulsions in a synagogue; he heals Peter’s mother-in-law in Capernaum; he cleanses a leper who expressed faith that Jesus “. . . could make me clean;” and in the sight of many, he heals the paralytic both physically and spiritually through the forgiveness of sin. And yes, he raised the dead as we remember Jarius' daughter and of course Lazarus from the Gospel of John. This week we find these amazing restorations in the Gospel of Mark, chapters 1 and 2. There is no doubt that people viewed Jesus as a wonder-worker, not only a charismatic preacher who taught with authority.

Take a look at these miracle stories this week. Use them for meditation: Mark 1: 21-45 and Mark 2: 1-12. Place yourself in the scene and pay attention to your thoughts and feelings. (A wonderful method which St. Ignatius recommended). What is the Holy Spirit saying to you as you read these passages?

In the Church, the healing ministry of Jesus continues in the Sacraments of the Anointing of the Sick given not only to those near death but also to those who are facing serious surgery, under treatment for cancer through chemo-therapy, those who find themselves under mental suffering, those with chronic illness or weakness through old age. Why would we limit our prayer for healing and therefore limit God? We priests can all share with confidence through experience that there is healing power in these sacraments. Many times people do improve after being anointed and if not they come to a peaceful acceptance of their condition.

Christ heals very definitely in the Sacrament of Reconciliation as we experience his inner healing through forgiveness of sin and are reconciled with the Christ and our brethren in the faith. Christ heals in the Sacrament of the Eucharist as we partake of his living presence. God has no limits and we must approach him with an open heart.

Do I allow God free reign in my life or do I limit him to what is only convenient or comfortable?

Holy Spirit,
cleanse my heart,
purify my thoughts,
strengthen my will,
that I may do your will.

No comments: