Nov 2, 2013

31 st Sunday: Little man, big heart

(A lighter blog this weekend but here are two links for this Sunday)
 
 
 
"Zacchaeus, come down quickly,
for today I must stay at your house."
 
 

The delightful story of Zacchaeus and Jesus is a lesson in perseverance.  With a smile on his face, Jesus called to Zacchaeus in what he must have found a surprise: a little man, up in a big tree, despised by others but in love with the Lord. 

And so "salvation" came to the house of this little man with a big heart, eager to come to know the Lord.  He was most willing to live righteously: "Behold, half of my possessions, Lord, I shall give to the poor, and if I have extorted anything from anyone I shall repay it four times over."

How far am I willing to go to set things right between myself and the Lord Jesus?  Do I feel the need for some correction, as Zacchaeus was willing to "repay four times over" anyone to whom he may have done wrong.?

When we gather at the Lord's Supper, we receive the One who offers us salvation. Am I just sitting up in my tree observing from a distance or am I eager, hungry for the Lord and to set things right between myself and any to whom I have done harm or have offended me? How about giving someone a second, third, or fourth chance? 

Almighty and merciful God,
by whose gift your faithful offer you
right and praiseworthy service,
grant, we pray,
that we may hasten without stumbling
to receive the things you have promised.
 
(Collect for Sunday)



 

No comments: