Oct 28, 2017

30th Sunday - "Can I love like this?"


(James Tissot) 

"Love the Lord your God . . . your neighbor as yourself." 

Ex 22: 20 - 26
1 Thes 1: 5c - 10
Mt 22: 34-40


Today’s readings are very familiar to us for we’ve heard the stated command so often:  Love God and love your neighbor.  It’s at the foundation of our Christian way of life. Yet, what if I’m not loved in return?  What if I show kindness to another and all I receive back is a cold shoulder, an insult, or an angry response?  To extend love to another is often more challenging than it sounds.

It’s something like a scene from Charles Schulz’ Peanuts comic strip which in one frame has Charlie Brown agonizing over a letter he’s writing.  Meanwhile, his faithful dog Snoopy watches with sympathy as Charlie says: “I just don’t know how to write a love letter.  What can you say to a girl that shows you really like her?” In the next frame, Snoopy thinks: “Enclosed please find a cookie.”

Well, humor aside Schulz reminds us that love is more than an emotion.  In its purest form it is shown through action; through some response of the will which reminds me of St. Augustine’s famous quote:  “Love and do what you will.” While Augustine never meant that love means I can now simply follow my desires he reminded the newly baptized at this Easter Sermon from which that quote is taken,  that it was part of his instruction on fraternal charity.  In other words, if we truly love God then we would never do something to offend him and thereby would extend that charity to our brothers and sisters. Love would be the constant measure and force of my life. In fact, that is clearly the intent Jesus had when he answered his deceptive inquirers in the Gospel passage this Sunday.

The Pharisees, having failed in their attempt to trap Jesus after showing him the Roman coin with the image of Caesar on it (last week’s Gospel: Mt 22: 15-21), now turn on him again.  What is more fundamental to their way of life than obedience to the Sacred Law?  They used it not as a personal guide but rather as an opportunity for self-promotion.  The more than 600 laws covering diet, worship, dress and behavior had been added to the fundamental law of the Sacred Commandments and they used them for control over the people.  To them, holiness was established by obedience to law yet they themselves were far from that. Judaism was a religion of laws.

So, they ask Jesus, of all those laws which is the greatest?  Jesus once again turns the question on them and states the sacred Shema:  “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all you heart … soul … and mind. This is the greatest and something they would have agreed with but then he goes a step farther:  “The second is ‘like’ it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  While his audience would have been familiar with the sacred love of neighbor, Jesus states that in essence the way to love God is to love your neighbor. It’s not about the law as much as it is about charity in action.

Jesus’ answer is not the teaching of some ancient prophet or philosopher but from the mind and heart of the Son of God. The Son of God who speaks captures for his listeners and for us, the very heart of the law. This is how God sees it for us. While his questioners had asked for only one commandment to be the greatest, Jesus here adds a second as “like it” which makes his answer all the more compelling. 

To say “I love God” is not exactly controversial.  Yet to love God in the way Jesus explains sets the stage for a revolution in my life.  Can any of us say that we truly love God above all things:  politics, material possessions, wealth, clothes, my work, etec?  Where do I spend my time and greatest energy?  For what will I feel a true loss if it should no longer be there?  What do I lose sleep over? 

Yet, as the Son of God explains:  “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.”  In this statement ALL means exactly what it implies – more than everything else!  He wants more than Snoopy’s sincere “Enclosed find a cookie,” he wants us completely.  And that my friend is the measure of our lives.  I for one, find that both comforting and frightening.  How much of what I have and consider being of value do I let go of? Who can possibly have that kind of pure unattached love?

Jesus adds a second commandment to the first: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  And then adds: “The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”  Every teaching of the ancient prophets, every other form of law and expectation all can be narrowed down to these two which are the heart of them both. 

If I can show fraternal charity to my neighbor which includes those who think, look, act and believe differently than I do, then my love for God is sincere.  If I can show kindness and good will towards someone I would naturally avoid for whatever reason, then I am beginning to walk the way of love. If I can love all that God loves – his creation and human life being at the highest point – then I have captured the heart of the Law.  Everything exists because God has loved it into being.  If I can love as God loves, then I get it! 

The problem I notice in myself and in others, without being accusatory, is that most of us judge our love for others based upon what they say about us, what they do for us, what they think of us, if they agree with us, if they think like me, if they look and speak like me, etc.  My love for you is based on ME and not on how God sees YOU.  If God has loved me into being, he has also loved you into being.  My own opinions and feelings aside, if I say I love God but do not love what he loves, then I don’t love him truly. This kind of relationship between God, myself and others is at the heart of my way of living. 

This is the way it is and the way Jesus, the Son of God, has proposed it for us.  This is what God desires and expects of us.  And it’s why I find it both comforting and frightening. 

The Book of Exodus reminds us of the same about how we should treat the poor and marginalized, those whom God loves in a particular way:  “You shall not molest or oppress the alien . . . You shall not wrong the widow or orphan . . . If you lend money to the poor, you shall not extort . . . if you take your neighbor’s cloak, return it to him . . . “ In a very practical application of love for God and neighbor we see it applied here. 

Here Jesus’ directives form the core meaning of our Christian lives.  If we truly desire to be Jesus’ disciples, then the celebration of the Eucharist, love poured out for all, is most meaningful and conforming.  

In short, we all probably have a ways to go on this but thanks be to God for showing us the way. 

Peace.   



Almighty ever-living God, 
increase our faith, hope and charity, 
and make us love what you command,
so that we may merit what you promise. 
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, 
who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit, 
one God for ever and ever. 

(Collect of Mass) 


No comments: