Jun 19, 2018

Why should I?




Mark 5: 43-48

A number of months ago we priests were invited to participate in a two day workshop here locally on the new Rite of Exorcism.  I think it goes without saying that the vast majority of priests are not interested in becoming professional exorcists but this was an opportunity to reflect not only on that revised rite but more importantly to reflect on the influence of the Evil one and the ways in which we might "open the door" to invite participation in bad things into our lives.  The traditional three ways that evil comes to us, the world, the flesh and the devil, still hold effect.  But certainly one sign of an evil spirit or of his own personality is cooperation with division, hatred, destruction, vengeance, retribution and a host of "children" born from such evil.   

Signs of the Spirit of God are certainly: peace, love, forgiveness, reconciliation, gentleness, kindness.  With the power of God such dark spirits can be driven out and when we open the door, and close it to any invitation of darkness, we align ourselves with Christ himself.  

I say this just by way of what I see the Gospel passage for this Tuesday is telling us.  To, "love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you . .  ." and to "be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect," is likely among the toughest and most controversial teachings of Jesus.  Yet, love and forgiveness is meshed in the character of Christianity.  That sin can be forgiven and forgotten is uniquely the way Jesus shows us.  

By that, Jesus bold command to love as God loves, even those who do wrong, is to be like the sun which shines for all and the rain that falls upon everyone without distinction or discrimination.  If God IS love then that is all God can do.  If he is love, then his every action and thought is love itself.  This is a sign of the Father's perfection.  

To forgive ones enemies and to pray for them is to close the door to that evil.  In essence, what we are saying through forgiveness is that, "I choose to close the door to that dark behavior you have inflicted on me.  I will not participate in that same darkness.  Instead I will return a higher, stronger power and that is love and mercy.  

To forgive is not the same as agreement with one's behavior.  I recognize the evils around me but I choose to not participate in them.  I close the door to their power and say they are not welcome here.  

I think this is at the bottom of Jesus' invitation to love as God loves and to align ourselves with the power of God and not the powers of the evil one.  To pray for our enemies is to love them; even if it means to pray for them at a distance but to wish a blessing rather than a curse is to cut off that dark power in my life.  

This is why I should do as Jesus commands.  The last chapter of Matthew, the scene of the sheep and the goats at the final judgement when Christ returns, implies that the salvation of my soul depends on this.  

Let's close the door to darkness and open the door wide to the light of Christ and his way of love.  

No comments: