Oct 27, 2023

30th Sunday - "The Greatest Commandment"

 

"Love the Lord your God, with all your heart . . . soul . . . mind

love your neighbor as yourself."

Matthew 22: 34-40

The Word: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/102923.cfm

--------------------------------

Almighty ever-living God,

increase our faith, hope and charity,

and make us love what you command,

so that we may merit what your promise.

(Collect of Mass) 

It has been said sarcastically, that the “Church would be great if it wasn’t for people!” Anyone in full time ministry, in the work of service to others, knows how both life giving and frustrating serving others can be. Anytime one works with the public, you are open to everything. So, “If people were not around, life would be so much easier and peaceful.  I could take time for prayer and do all the things that saints speak about in seeking a strong spiritual life and become holy.  I could enjoy all the beauty of music and art and celebrate the liturgy without having to wonder about all those others who participate.” 

Well, such sarcasm will only produce a very lonely ministry and frankly, a boring life.  The point of this little example is that as our Gospel reminds us this Sunday, God has placed us in the midst of human interaction.  That our whole life is designed for relationship and to imagine a Church without people is neither Biblical nor Christian nor realistic. So, like it or not we are stuck with each other which is the beautiful truth. But that is exactly the point of our scriptures.  The core and center of our life is focused on a relationship both with God and with our brothers and sisters and therefore both vertical and horizontal.   

Today’s readings are very familiar to us for we’ve heard them stated so often:  love God and love your neighbor.  It’s at the foundation of our Christian way of life. Yet, what if I’m not loved in return?  What if I show kindness to another and all I receive back is a cold shoulder, an insult, or an angry response?  To extend love to another is often more challenging than it sounds but it can also become more rewarding than you ever imagined.

In other words, if we truly love God then love would be the constant measure and force of my life. In essence, we are to love who and what God loves – and that is everyone and all that he has created. In fact, that is clearly the intent Jesus had when he answered his deceptive inquirers in the Gospel passage this Sunday.

The Pharisees, hearing the Sadducees failed in their attempt to trap Jesus after showing him the Roman coin with the image of Caesar on it, now turn on him again.  This time it is a challenge to explain what might be at the core of the Jewish covenant, a sacred law by which all righteous Jews would live. What is more fundamental to their way of life than obedience to the Sacred Law which governed everything from food, work, worship, and relationships with Jews and non-Jews.  The Pharisees above all were the law police making sure that all Jews were following the proper prescriptions.

So, they ask Jesus, of all the laws which govern the life of the Jews enumerated in the first books of the Torah, which is the greatest?  Jesus once again turns the question on them and states the sacred Shma: “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart … soul … and mind.” This is the greatest and something they would have agreed with but then he goes a step farther: “The second is ‘like’ it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”  While his audience would have been familiar with the sacred love of neighbor, Jesus states that in essence the way to love God is to love your neighbor. It’s not about the law as much as it is about charity in action. Your love for God is expressed through your love of neighbor.  In the view of God, everyone is your neighbor for his love is universal.

The most unique thing is that Jesus put both on the same level thereby as a blend of two laws as one.  “The second is like it . . .” Jesus said. Thus, it is one sacred law with two do-equal parts: love God and love your neighbor.  If we love what God loves, then our love is without borders, it is inclusive and extensive of everything God has made and all he loves. Jesus,' the incarnate Word of God who speaks, captures for his listeners and for us the very heart of the law. This is how God sees it for us.

How often do we get love tangled up in our feelings, however? Love is how you feel about another person, therefore my negative feelings towards another, even if I can justify, they are undeserving, qualify my love.  How can I love a stranger, the person walking down the street, the parishioner in the pew I’ve never spoken to, the man whose skin is darker than mine or who dresses shabbily or who speaks a different language, how can I have warm and fuzzy feelings towards someone who has done wrong and deserves punishment?  

Stop! It is right to know that our Lord is not speaking of feelings for another but rather about behavior. My attraction or my feelings are simply emotions – that’s not love. True love is a choice I make; a movement towards another to do good for them, regardless of who they are. To love is to will good for the other regardless of my emotions for them.  It is possible and right to love another for whom I feel nothing in particular:  the stranger walking down the street, a disheveled person who approaches you on a cold night in a parking lot asking for money, the one who has spoken harsh about me, or a person in need anywhere that I might notice or encounter, etc. In relationship with each other, we show our love for God.  Remember Jesus washed the feet of his disciples the night before he died and stated clearly: “As I have done, so you must do.” Then he offered them the greatest act of love in the Holy Eucharist the night before he sacrificed himself for our sake.

What will I do to show my love for God?  All depends on the situation and the need that is present.  Give the one who asks for money on a cold night, a warm piece of your own clothing? How about a sincere smile and “hello” as you pass by or a kind comment on something you notice they are doing?  To offer a simple assistance to someone who asks for help? To resist judging another person who looks and speaks differently than you or is caught at a different economic level than you? I think we can find endless examples of how we can contribute to the common good and share our love for God.

In closing, let me illustrate this through an ordinary personal example.  The other day I was shopping for groceries in the early evening.  It was getting dark and was cold enough to wear a warm jacket. 

As I was putting the items in my car, a man approached me who was clearly “on the street” and politely asked for some money.  My usual skepticism stepped in and my initial resistance, but I knew I had a few dollars in my pocket, so I gave it to him.  He thanked me, went on his way to the other side of the lot near the entrance to the store, where he sat down on the sidewalk, covered in a blanket that I’m sure had not been washed in some time.

As I was getting in my car, I had the strongest desire to go to him and offer him the coat I was wearing, but sadly I did not do so. I had another coat and sweaters at home but for some selfish reason on my part, I watched him for a short time, then drove off.  As I write these words, I feel a sense of guilt knowing I had resisted a call from God to love my neighbor.  A lesson learned indeed.  As a priest, you think I would know better but nonetheless, do not resist the grace of God when a moment arrives.

This is the way it is and the way Jesus, the Son of God, has proposed for us.  Imagine for a moment, as naïve as it may seem, that all in the world lived this way – it would be heaven on earth. And maybe that is the point of Jesus commanding us to love God and our neighbor.  In that way, we not only have a Church filled with people, but a collection of persons who model the Kingdom of God to bring hope to a very troubled world around us.

 

 

No comments: